Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 6

Today is the Feast of the Nativity (Christmas) for eastern orthodox churches. I'd heard about a tiny Russian orthodox church with a blue dome hidden away in the neighborhood not too far from my apartment, but I'd never seen it. I thought that today might be a good day to find it. And I did.

Saint Séraphin de Sarov is hidden behind behind this nondescript door on the rue Lecourbe.


The gates were locked so I couldn't go inside. Christmas services were held at 9am this morning and 8:30pm this evening.


Today is also the day to eat Galette des Rois (King Cake), and every French bakery offers the cakes in all sizes. Buried inside the puff pastry is a little figurine (called a fève = bean). You divide the cake into parts - one for each person present. The person who gets the fève is king for the day and gets to wear the crown that comes with each cake.

I love living in a large, multicultural city with its multitude of traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment