Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Paris Plages - Villette

Several days ago I wrote about the Paris Plages (beaches). There are actually TWO locations where the city of Paris has created a vacation experience for those who cannot leave Paris and head to the beach.

The main location is on the Seine river in the very heart of Paris. The second location is in the Bassin de la Villette, a canal system in the northeast corner of Paris - an area that I don't know very well. The weather was nice on Sunday, so I hopped on my bike to check it out. Much of the travel to get there was on bike paths like this one:


I live at point A and the Paris Plages at the Bassin de la Villette is found at point B on the map below. It's about 5 miles, one way, from point A to point B, and part of the route follows the Canal St. Martin. Point C? The parc de la Villette which has a great science museum. I rode there to check it out too.


Arriving at the "beach" I found a lot of people trying out the boats - sometimes with hilarious results and traffic jams. I think that some of these people had never tried to row before!


This looked fun:


And these little tykes were enjoying themselves.


So there you have it. Summer in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment