Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Monday, July 26, 2010

Cooking for one

I love French food and I love French markets. I go to the market almost every day - and I have for years. Even when I lived in Boulder. It probably dates back to the time we spent in Paris in the 70s. It's just a way of life here. That, and the fact that my fridge is tiny (it was back then too). Furthermore, I like living my life au pif. That means not planning ahead, not preparing menus a month at a time. I like to wake up each day and think about what sounds good. I never think about what I'll eat or do tomorrow or the next day.

I don't mind taking the time to shop and cook for one. And my current apartment is much better equipped and pleasant for dining in. Here's what a few recent lunches or dinners have looked like:


It did occur to me as I was enjoying the steak and tomatoes that I remember my mother savoring the steak she cooked for herself after we were asleep. It was the only time of the day when she had peace and quiet. But I don't think she bothered with the glass of wine, the heirloom tomatoes or the fresh basil.


Fresh ravioli from the Italian deli down the street . . .

Sometimes, especially if I've had a big lunch, I'll have something light for dinner. Something simple. Last night is was just cereal (Special K - yes, they sell Special K in the ordinary grocery stores) with milk and fresh strawberries from the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment