Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The American Library in Paris

I've just returned from my weekly visit to the American Library in Paris. Books are expensive, and I was running out of reading material. The used book stores don't always have a good selection, and besides, I'm still traveling light and don't want to encumber myself with "stuff". So I was delighted to discover the American Library. I never knew it existed, even though it was founded in 1920. It moved to its current location just east of the Eiffel Tower in 1964. I wish I'd known about it when I lived here in the 70s! It's only 1 km from the apartment I lived in at that time, just on the opposite side of the Champs de Mars. However, it is on a small side street with an almost invisible sign marking its location. It would be easy to live a block away and never know it was there.






It's not too far from where I'm living now, and the first time I went there I took the bus. It's much faster to get there by bike, and I can carry several pounds of books in my backpack. One more way to pass the time alone in Paris :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment