Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Thursday, March 18, 2010

From the sublime to the ridiculous

OK, the definition of sublime is a very subjective one. In my opinion, I had a sublime lunch yesterday. I LOVE fresh oysters on the half shell. Not everybody does. And it's a curious preference from one who grew up in land-locked Colorado. So you can imagine my delight when I discovered a wonderful tiny restaurant that specializes in fresh oysters direct from the grower in the west coast of France (Arcachon). I am even happier when the oysters come at an affordable price. The lunch special? 14 oysters + foie gras + wine for 18 euros! Delicious!!


Super fresh oysters


Delicate foie gras with a perfectly matched (sweet)wine


"La Cabane a Huitres" near Montparnasse

Oh, and the ridiculous? I stumbled upon the shop below on my way home: une épicerie américaine (American grocery store) where you can buy things you really miss from home.




Yes, they have everything from Jif peanut butter to Oreos, Aunt Jemima syrup and Pace Picante Sauce. Refried beans and Duncan Hines cake mixes. They even have Shake 'N Bake and Hamburger Helper! So the next time I'm in the mood for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead of fresh oysters for lunch - I'll know where to go ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious... great find! (the oysters, not the oreos)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half of it is the environment, and the food makes it so much more so. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fourteen oysters would only be an appetizer for this old shellfish-lover. I like clams, raw or steamed, as well or maybe better. Envious? You betcha!

    ReplyDelete